Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

The Body Image Battle


I have never been one of those who had a naturally nice shaped body and felt comfortable wearing just anything. 

In fact, I have been quit the opposite. 

Since I was very young I have always maintained an active lifestyle playing competitive soccer.  No matter how many sprints, miles, squats, lunges, and plyometric exercises we would practice I still would have that little stomach pouch. 

I never was fat, but I also was never was all that skinny either.  I would constantly feel uncomfortable and unsatisfied with my body, and comparing it to other players.

As I got older these insecurities grew and when I went to college they hit an all time high.

A lot of people are active in sports throughout their entire life, but when they get to college they are no longer on a team and are reliant upon themselves to maintain daily exercise.  This was me…

I went from practicing every weekday and then having games on the weekend to nothing, nada, zip, gone.

On top of this I battle stress issues and have a tendency to cure my problems with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s (favorite is the red velvet cake flavor) and excessive amounts of coffee (which you probably know now from the last blog entry).  So thanks to horrible cafeteria food and lack of exercise I had put on a little weight and felt miserable.  I would hide myself with certain clothes, felt undeserving of certain types of clothes, and my self-confidence was nonexistent. I felt like anyone who looked at me was thinking how fat I was and that there was no way anyone could find me attractive.

Since then I have gotten a lot better about what foods I eat, I almost exercise everyday, but I am still learning to say no to sweets, battling with stress eating, building self-confidence, and controlling portions.

The point behind spilling my guts about my personal battles with body issues and eating is to let you know if you are going into college, are currently in college, just graduated, whatever, that you are not alone if you have experienced any of this.  Unfortunately, for a lot of people it is part of the college experience and life in general.

Just keep your head high and surround yourself with people that can help you create a positive atmosphere.  Try to incorporate an hour of exercise everyday and even try to find a fitness buddy.  If time permitted friends and I would go to cycling and zumba classes, or just work together in the weight room.  It would always help having someone to motivate you and compete with.  Also, it helps to study the menus prior to eating to know what is available. It will eliminate some temptation of grabbing those pasta dishes and visiting the dessert bar (my weakness was the ice-cream and red velvet cake). 

Just know no matter what you are beautiful, and no one or anything can change that.  I challenge everyone who reads this to try writing five things you like about you everyday for a month and watch yourself grow. 

If you need anything, need someone to talk to, whatever it is…always feel free to email me. 

-Mer A








No comments:

Post a Comment