Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Cup Of Joe

If you have been through college then you understand the lack of sleep involved...

I particularly remember having three exams, two projects, and a paper due all in the same week, thus requiring me to pull practically three all nighters in a row.  By the third day I was so exhausted and incapable of functioning I drank sixteen cups of coffee...no exaggeration.  Obviously I realize how horrible of an idea that was considering it almost made sick.

By the end of the first semester of college I was practically addicted to coffee.  If you saw me on the way to class, in the library, in my room, hanging out with friends, and so forth then I probably had a mug of coffee in my hands.

I always end up running to coffee to regain some energy and function... ALWAYS. A lot of the time that was my breakfast...so sad.

I have always questioned the health benefits of coffee or if it could have any detrimental effects (not that I would stop drinking it).  There is constantly articles analyzing the effects of coffee, but sometimes (actually a lot) there is little concrete scientific evidence to support any claims.

You have probably heard that coffee can reduce risk of cardiovascular issues, relieves headaches, can raise blood pressure, can prevent neurotransmitters preforming their calming functions, and so forth.

It is the American tradition to drink a cup of joe in the morning to get that fresh jump start.  The key to coffee is consuming this drink in moderation.  Limit yourself to one or two cups in the morning, thus you are less likely to experience any severe side effects.

If you are like me, then you love sweet coffee treats.  My favorite being a coffee, caramel, and ice-cream twisted delight with whip cream on top.

Here are some healthy and low calorie alternatives to still achieve that sweet coffee taste:


  • unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • stevia
  • organic cocoa power
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg
  • organic maple syrup
  • pumpkin puree/pumpkin spices
  • agave nectar
  • organic honey
  • brown sugar
Trust me...you will feel a lot better about drinking something sweet knowing there is more nutritional value and consuming less calories, while still satisfying that sweet tooth.

-Mer:)





No comments:

Post a Comment