Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Killing Those Sweet Cravings


As I am sipping my coffee I am reminiscing when I used to put multiple packs of sugar and flavored coffee creamer (my favorite being the eggnog flavor) into my cup of joe.  It is one of those moments where my sugar cravings are really kicking it and the positive healthy thoughts, “less calories and sugar”, are not suppressing them alone.

Sugar used to constantly manipulate my thoughts, like how I would avoid grabbing a milkshake at the creamery, to the point that it would distract me from my studies.

 It is human nature to have sweet cravings and it is very rare to meet someone who doesn’t have them.  Since I have transitioned into a healthier lifestyle it has eliminated a lot of sweets out of my diet.

So how do we fix these horrible and exhausting cravings?

1.     Try to remove the temptation from your kitchen.  Though the removal process will be painful you will find having no sweets to run to liberating.

2.     Maintain a balanced diet and eat small meals throughout the day.  Make sure you are getting all the essentials, like protein and complex carbs that keep your body satisfied and full.  When your body is starving you are more likely to grab foods that do not benefit us nutritionally, like Pop Tarts.

3.     Fruit.  These are nature’s natural desserts.   Some of today’s diets want you to eliminate them, but DO NOT.  Fruit does not make you gain weight, but actually has many nutritional benefits.  They are high in antioxidants, rich in fiber, provide you energy, and also contain water.  Does that sound bad? Not at all. Lets not forget the part where they taste absolutely AMAZING.  Try grabbing a banana and Greek yogurt to make your own healthy rendition of a banana sundae.  You also can find recipes where you can make your own ice cream with frozen fruits. YUM.

4.     Consume water throughout the day.  I try to drink at least half my body weight in ounces or more.   Many times you will find yourself having what you think is hunger pains, but it is your body signaling for water.  Also, adding fruit to your water adds a natural sweetness.

5.     Dark Chocolate.  I am a HUGE chocolate lover.  My family jokes and says it is part of our genetics... that is how much we love chocolate.  Try finding dark chocolate that has a high percentage of cocoa.  It is high in antioxidants, is heart healthy, and can increase blood flow to the brain.  I normally allow myself only one piece each time. 

My favorite brand currently is the endangered species.  They are dense in cocoa, come in a variety of different selections, and the company uses profits to raise support for various species of plants and animals around the world.  How awesome is that?

This is what the individually packaged pieces look like.  Since these are so big I try to split them into two different pieces, but unfortunately I am not always this good.  

It is ok to splurge every now and then too:)  It is important to enjoy life and all it has to offer just... keep in mind portions.

--Mer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment